Saturday, June 11, 2011

3 cm and 50%

So, I am 38 weeks and a couple of days along, the end in site. Last week's OB appointment left me excited and scared both. I was checked for dilation, and usually they tell me, "well, dilation doesn't necessarily mean labor is coming, so don't worry that you are still at 0-1 cm." Well, ok then. And I leave the office feeling a bit bummed. But I know once the contractions start for me, the delivery isn't far behind. I was told Thursday I was at 3cm and 50% effaced. So, this is new for me. I'll be honest--I don't expect to go early. But if it were to happen, I wouldn't be sad. Christopher should just be done with school (17th) before my due date (20th); just in case though, for this last week of school, he has made sub plans. The way our luck goes, that should guarantee we won't go early--being prepared is one of the best ways to delay anything premature. I didn't shave my armpits today, though, so it might balance out our chances!
On Christopher's work front, we had some good news yesterday. He has officially been called back to teach next fall. He had been pink slipped several times in the beginning of his career, and always been called back, but we had gone a few years without the pink slip. It returned this year.
He also got to select what courses he will be teaching next fall, and got some of the classes he had always wanted to teach. Usually the higher math and the honors classes go to the teachers with the most seniority, and they are the envy of most teachers, because a lot of the discipline and behavioral issues don't occur with the higher math. College prep classes tend to have students more serious about their education. Well, Christopher got some higher math classes, which will include more prep because he hasn't taught them before, but the mental health relief from having better disciplined students will be such a welcome change. You would not believe some of the things a teacher hears from students and parents until you are a teacher, or their spouse. It is an incredible burden a teacher bears when the people who should be taking responsibility for their children's behavior decide it's the teacher's job and not their own parenting responsibility. It borders on ridiculous! There has been so much negative press about teachers lately, and I assure you, there are bad teachers out there; but not all teachers fit in that mold. And I STRONGLY caution anybody from pigeon-holeing teachers based on what they see on TV or read on the internet. I live with one who carries a world of burden he shouldn't have to, because he cares enough for his students and doesn't want them to fail. But he can't do their homework for them. He can't take their tests for them. He can't study for them. Some of the initiative HAS to come from the home front. And if the parents aren't putting in time with their kids and their education at home, it is crazy to expect the teacher to do it in their stead. Teachers have 28-32 kids in a class, times 5-6 classes. If the parents expect the teacher to carry each of those students because they aren't working with their kids at home, that is easily over 150 students the teacher is responsible for in addition to his normal, expected job responsibilities. There has to be some help from parents at home. And it is fairly obvious when there is help at home. If the state wants students to reach certain goals by the time they are done with high school, teachers can't be reteaching the fundamentals that kids have already been taught and students are presumed to know. There simply isn't enough time in a semester to do that. All this being said, it is a welcome relief for Christopher to have a few classes where the students are more serious and the parents are more involved. It is such an eye opening thing for me to see, realizing how critically important it is for parents to be involved in all aspects of a child's education. It makes a world of difference.
We have also been so blessed recently by all the generosity of our family and friends. The girls are getting to go to a week long day camp soon after the baby arrives, and they get to attend a summer ballet class, because of people wanting to help us out. It is a struggle to go from 2 incomes to 1, which is what we have to do each time I go on maternity leave. I do not get any benefits or pay whatsoever when I go on leave, because I only work part time. I do have a good chunk of PTO coming, which they cash out to cover any time off on a leave, so thankfully, knowing that ahead of time, I worked extra to build up my PTO bank. It was tiring to do so, but I am glad I did it now....
We have so much to be grateful for, and we have so much we are fearful for. Thankfully, Jehovah Jireh, our provider, will not forget us now. He never has. His ways are so much bigger than our little minds can comprehend and eyes can see. And thank goodness they are. I have no idea what the summer holds in store, but I sense some changes coming that might be tough, but necessary. Continue to lift us up in prayer as we turn to God to navigate us through all the craziness we call 'everyday life'.

No comments: