Thursday, October 30, 2008

The God of 2nd chances...

The coolest thing happened to me today. At the end of April, I took an exam to become an oncology-certified nurse (a specialty exam). Due to circumstances beyond my control (ie. the 8 month old baby in my womb), I ended up not being able to complete the exam and as a result, I 'failed'. I lost the $400 bucks it took to register and take the exam, and I was feeling pretty lousy about the whole thing. It really made me question my intelligence and aptitude for this area of nursing, but also served as a good wake up call for me to not get lost in the identity of my career. I was already miserably uncomfortable being pregnant, but I thought taking the exam before the 2nd child was born was smarter and maybe more feasible than after. I WAS WRONG. So, in the meantime, I kind of forgot about it and decided I didn't need some testing company to tell me I was a smart nurse, nor did I want to shell out the big bucks to them again either.

So comes a letter in the mail today.

It turns out, the computer categorized the scoring and presented it to the tester (me) incorrectly. I still had a 'failing' score, but because of the error of reporting on the testing company's part, I am able to take the test again in 2009 FREE OF CHARGE! This is really cool because I know I can pass that test. And when I do, I can actually get the cost reimbursed from the hospital because I am bettering myself as an employee there. I couldn't afford to lay down that much money a 2nd time, but now I am able to take the test without having to! With these credentials, I would get a pay raise too.

God is good at second chances. I would've never seen this one coming. But I will trust His will and timing and know he has my best interest at heart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! What a wonderful blessing :-) And you are right, you can and will pass the test when you take it again. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Wow; that is awesome! God provides in fascinating ways! Good luck on the next test. You can do it!